Thursday, March 24, 2011

Costco is domesticating me!

This past week Dave was able to get a discount on a Costco membership through DSA. We decided that even if we didn't have the money to go there for groceries all the time, it would be worth it to get the membership for the gas. Lately it's been all doom and gloom about the economy, gas, and all other things financial. I get it. People are scared, and it's better to be paranoid and prepared than ignorant and helpless. So we went to Costco last weekend and picked up some groceries since we had some extra money from our tax return. Costco also gave us a cookbook for signing up. I thumbed through it for two days, drooling over every picture. I have a soft spot for cookbooks. I get so excited just holding one in my hand. Yes, you can get a lot of the recipes online and there are tons of websites that are very helpful no matter what skill level you are cooking. I just don't get the same feeling from a website that I do when I am scouring pages in a cookbook. It feels like I am sitting in their kitchen talking with them about these recipes. Whomever "they" may be. I just love it. I could only hope to come up with enough of my own recipes that are worth publishing. I'm on my way though. With our Costco membership we have decided to expand my repertoire. Twice a month I will be experimenting with new ingredients. This time was a bag of frozen seafood. I saw it and immediately became enamored with the idea of a seafood medley alfredo. I love seafood. I ache for seafood at certain times of the year and the bag that I bought is enough to do three different dinners. Here is my first:


I used a simple alfredo recipe that only took about 20 minutes from start to finish. Added that to some spaghetti noodles I had in the pantry, and steamed some broccoli. It came out delicious! Even Bradley has been asking for more days later. I haven't decided what to do with the rest of the bag of seafood, but if it comes out good, it will be on here.

While at Costco I also picked up a few "dream" items as I call them. You know what I'm talking about. The items that aren't necessary for existence but they make your existence worth living... like strawberries. I love strawberries! I found 4lbs of strawberries at Costco and try as I might I couldn't leave the store without them. Best decision I have made in the last month or so. I have strawberries to snack on, strawberries for baking, strawberries for cereal and best of all... strawberries for pancakes with freshed whipped cream made by yours truly.


By the way, I make the best whipped cream on Earth! Not gloating... just fact. :)

I also made some rhubarb hand pies this past week that came out pretty good. It was the first time I had ever attempted anything like this. I got the recipe from a link to Kitchen Confidant on foodgawker.com. Best website ever by the way. Mine don't look nearly as good as hers, but I was pretty proud of my first attempt.



That is what I have been up to for the past week or so. I've spent more time in the kitchen lately than I ever have before and I couldn't be happier. Bradley loves coming and helping as well. Especially when it's tasting time. :) I hope that Bradley will remember these times and will be able to look back and smile.

1 comment:

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

Your pictures make me hungry! I love home cooking- now if I could just get someone to actually come to my hone and cook :)